Monday, February 8, 2010

Back to Bloggin

So yes it has been a LONG time since I last posted...the Lord blessed our family with Lucy born September 14th and after that it's been a BLUR, just so busy. She's a perfect addition to our little family and we love her more than words can say. Babies are even more precious when you can watch your older ones dote over them. Char and Con will jump at the chance to "watch" her and love to make little tents of blankets and pillows around her pretending she's their baby. Of course there's times when Charlotte isn't holding her just right or when she starts making noise cause she knows her big, and very aggressive with his affectionate hugs, brother Connor is coming her way that make me very nervous, but on the whole, it's just adorable.
Charlotte is progressing well with her schooling. She's starting to read now which is very exciting for both of us! We joined a homeschooling co-op which meets biweekly and she's really enjoying it. It's nice to have the interaction with other kids, be able to do things you might not be able to do as well at home...games with a group in the gym...right now she's doing handball. She's also taking the electives dance and singing which she LOVES. Speaking of singing, she joined the local children's choir in September and she's really learning a lot. Today was pyjama day and she brought her doll with her too.

Something to make me smile...

We went to the library today in between school and choir and Charlotte said she had to use the washroom so off she went. I was looking up some books on the computer when I heard my girl suddenly burst into song, practising her very patriotic version of O Canada, while on the toilet, even adding her own "opera" frills to the words...she was so loud all the librarians just stopped and listened and a group of teenagers could not stop giggling. "Wow she's the next Canadian Idol" one of the librarians said to me. I'm not so sure about that, but it made me laugh. It's funny because Charlotte so far has been the quiet voice in the choir. When it comes to performing in front of anyone but her family, she becomes this shy little girl (I hardly recognize her). It's only because she was in the bathroom (apparently she thinks with soundproof walls) that she would dare to belt out a tune like that. We may need to go over the "quiet at the library policy" again but even though I was little embarrassed (she did go on and on) it was just one of those things I'm glad I'm writing down. Just one of those things you don't want to forget so you can tell them when they are older and make them laugh.
Connor has now taken an interest in school work all of a sudden. While I thought that he would be my easily distracted, never wanting to finish a project, little student, he's actually quite the opposite. To my pleasant surprise, he's much more focused than his sister and will colour a whole picture AND stay in the lines and not get up till he's finished. I wish he applied this same drive when eating his breakfast or picking up toys...he never can stay put for that! He is also enjoying having his Dad read him some hockey books I found at the library at bedtime. It's a bit of a long drawn-out bedtime routine some nights but definately worthwhile for him and his Daddy.
I have been finding life with 3 kids challenging so far. It's funny how before I thought I rarely had any time to do all the things I needed to do, now I have even less. It's been an adjustment just getting my priorities straight once again. You'd think being last on the list would bother me more, but it seems to get easier or more natural with each child. I actually left the house yesterday with no makeup on, one thing I rarely forget, even if I just slap on some lipstick and blush, but there was just no stopping once all 3 kids were in the van, I actually didn't think about it. It's always hard when you really aren't getting enough sleep but I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm working on being less grumpy with my husband and more patient with my children on less sleep (a huge challenge for me) but I know it will be worth it for our family. Plus I hear Charlotte imitating me sometimes and it really frightens me!! It's funny how your kids as young as they are can point out to you your own faults. And yet I hope it's effective for me! Character building is one thing I want to spend time on with my kids so I'm their example! I pray for the strength to do this daily!

My new discovery...

I recently read an article given to me by a friend from church about how a lot of kids being raised today going from the car seat to the chair to the swing, etc. Plastic mothering I think it was called. It had an ad for those slings to "wear" your baby and be handsfree for other things. I thought to myself...wow I've never tried one of those...and I always do feel guilty when I have to plop Lucy down in the Bumbo for a half hour while I do things in the kitchen. I do have a Baby Bjorn carrier but Lucy doesn't seem to like it and it gets really heavy so I stopped using it after she was 3 1/2 months.
At the homeschool co-op, after talking with some moms, the subject came up and it turned out one of the moms made her very own slings. She was quite educated on the subject, said she did a lot of research for the strongest materials best for the job, and offered to lend me hers as her youngest, for the time being anyways, is already 3. I picked it up after school and WOW, I just love it. It's very versatile and I can hold Lucy in different positions, having two hands free to do some household chores. I'm thinking someone should have won a prize because this is the best invention yet, I'm wishing I'd had it for my first two, but then I probably didn't have as much to do then either. Anyways I may just have to save up and buy one for my very own. Apparently this friend of mine can make them in cotton or silk. Hmmmm...I wonder which one I would like...we'll have to start saving those pennies!!
Well that's enough catch up for now...hopefully the next posts won't be so sporadic but with my life, there's no guarantees...as much as I enjoy doing it, I have to stick with my priorities...well off to clean the glitter from our Valentine's crafts spilled all over the floor!

No comments: